Starting business in Japan (such as used car export)

Cherry BlossomIf you want to start a business (such as exporting used cars from Japan) and make a new company in Japan as the director, the general process is like follows. (This is about the case when you don’t have your permanent visa.)

  1. Come to Japan by short-term visa.
  2. Find your home and office in Japan (it may be the same place if permitted by the landlord).
  3. Establish your company and hire people.
  4. Get your investor/business manager visa (you need to at least invest 5,000,000yen to your company).
  5. Make the necessary report to the tax office; police office etc. (depends on what business you start).

These procedures are very complicated for people who don’t speak or understand Japanese language, so it is suggestible to find a business partner in Japan (Japanese or someone with permanent residence visa), to make the procedure easier.

If you don’t have a partner in Japan, or if you want to do the business all by yourself, we suggest you to hire lawyers.

We can support you about establishing company in Japan and getting investor/business manager visa.

Cost for establishing the company in general cases

  • Actual cost (registering fee etc.): about 200,000 yen
  • Lawyer’s fee: between 105,000 yen to 315,000 yen for small companies.

Cost for getting the investor/business manager visa in general cases

  • Lawyer’s fee: around 210,000 yen in most cases.

After establishing the company, you will have to consider about tax problems in Japan.
We can introduce you to a tax accountant who can speak English, if needed.

Published by

Kei Sumikawa

Attorney at Law (Sumikawa Law Office), Kawasaki city, Japan