Legacy Division of a Foreigner in Japan

SONY DSCIf a foreigner lives in Japan and has a domicile in Japan when he/she dies, there is a chance that the process of the legacy division (estate division) can be handled in Japanese court. Therefore, if all the heirs live in Japan and it is convenient to go through the process in Japan, then performing the process in Japanese court could be considered as well.

However, it will be necessary to examine the laws of the deceased person’s home country since the division of the estate itself will be judged in accordance with the laws of his/her home country.

Inheritance cases for foreigners may get complicated. If you need legal help, feel free to contact us for consultation.

Related Page

Legacy Division in Japan (Inheritance)

Published by

Kei Sumikawa

Attorney at Law (Sumikawa Law Office), Kawasaki city, Japan