Submitting divorce papers by postal mail (Japan)

In Japan, you can also submit your divorce papers by postal mail to the municipal office (city hall).

You can download the divorce form (Rikon-Todoke) from some municipal offices via the Internet. Generally, the form can be used at any Japanese municipal office.

Sapporo city

However, if there are any mistakes, you will have to go to the municipal office to make corrections, so it is strongly advised to call the municipal office (Koseki-gakari) well in advance and make sure that your divorce form is filled out correctly.

Also, if you are a foreigner, be sure to check whether your home government will allow you to get a divorce by just mutual consent, without going to court.

Published by

Kei Sumikawa

Attorney at Law (Sumikawa Law Office), Kawasaki city, Japan