There are several situations when the attorneys cannot handle particular cases. Below are some of the reasons.
It is not possible to explain all the situation, and there is no obligation for the attorney to explain the reasons for not taking the particular case.
We appreciate your understanding.
- We are too busy at the moment.
– We only have a limited number of attorneys, so if we have too many cases already, we cannot take some of the new cases.
- The case is not within the Japnese attorney’s practice area.
– e.g. Japanese attorneys generally do not handle tax cases. We sometimes do work together with a tax accountant, but if the case is only about the tax, we do not handle the case.
- The case is not within our office’s practice area.
– e.g. We do not handle visa cases. We sometimes do work together with a visa lawyer, but if the case is only about the visa, we do not handle the case. We also do not handle some cases which require unique specialization which we do not have.
- It is likely that the fee is too high for the case.
– Our fee for handling the lawsuit is usually 600,000 yen or more, even when the case is smaller than this amount. If we decide that the attorney fee will be too high compared to the amount of the case, we do not take the case.
- The case is distant from our office.
– Our office is in Kanagawa-ken. Generally, we don’t handle cases which are distant from our office. This is because it is usually cost-effective for the clients to find lawyers nearby, and also it is too much time consuming for the attorneys. (We do not provide initial consultation over the phone.)
- The case is too large or too complicated for our office.
– We only have a limited number of attorneys, so if the case requires several attorneys to work on it, we cannot take the case. You should find a larger law firm for those kind of cases.
- When the client asks us to charge the fee to the other party.
– In Japan, generally it is not possible to charge the attorney fee to the other party.
We cannot introduce or recommend other attorneys (we have no information of attorneys who can support the actual case).
Just for your information, Japan Legal Support Center provides English telephone service.
Japan Legal Support Center https://www.houterasu.or.jp/en/about_jlsc/consultation_service.html